nome di accesso
ITA english

Rapporto RSE 17000218

Experimental laboratory characterization of different types of conductors through the acoustic and electromagnetic noise detection in case of DC power supply and c.a. and isolating aging tests



Richiedi il materiale

A. Barbareschi Villa (RSE SpA), R. Malgesini (RSE SpA)

T&D-C.C. 2016 - Transmission and distribution in direct current

Analysis of the failure mode of main components for DV application and test and modelling of the acoustic noise produced by line conductors in AC, DC or Ibrid configuration.

Power transmission has developed on networks that operate mainly in alternating current (AC.). At European level, in percentage terms, over 90% of the power lines are in alternating current, the remaining 10% are in direct current (DC).

The direct current mainly concerns marine and long-distance land connections or connections between non-synchronous alternate current networks.

The significant development of renewable energy, especially from wind and solar sources typically concentrated far from consumer centres, requires an increasingly transport of large amounts of energy to new electrical infrastructures where the direct current will play an important role.

One of the major advantages of DC power is the capacity of regulating the power transmitted as a tap adjusts the water flow rate in a conduit. In the alternating current systems, the power is essentially regulated by the loads, power generation and by the interconnection of all nodes.

Today the combination AC current /DC current (AC-DC) at high voltage level is able to make the power transmission system more safe and reliable.

In this context, issues concerning the testing of line and station components for DC applications or for AC / DC hybrid lines have been addressed.

DC line components must have specific characteristics, concerning environmental impact (ionic current or acoustic noise) assessment and evaluation concerning the size of insulators; so that the simplified approach consisting in overestimating the insulation levels is no longer applicable.

The combination of analytical analysis by Morgan code developed by RSE and electrostatic models available commercial codes has been supported with a series of test campaigns to validate the implemented models.

Taking into account the lack of information in the current literature about the degradation of insulator material, in particular concerning organic materials, a first set of comparative tests aimed to verify the degradation of such materials for DC line has been carried out.